A History of YALDING, Kent, England

The first meeting of this society took place in the Parish Room (Swan Flats) on Monday evening February 25th 1895. There were present 21 members, with several others who expressed a wish to join, kept away by the prevailing influenza epidemic.
Mrs Lamplugh (the Vicar's wife) was proposed as President, and Miss Ada Skinner, Treasurer of the society, which is especially intended for the help of women and girls above the age of 14. Meetings will take place on the last Monday of each month, in the Parish Room, at 7 o'clock, when the entertainment will consist of music, singing, recitations, readings, etc. There will be a singing class, instructed by Miss Mary Clark, which will meet every Monday evening at 7 o'clock.
To meet the expenses, there will be a subscription of 1s. each, and for those joining the Singing Class, 3s.
Exactly one month later on Monday March the 25th a social evening was held also in the Parish Room. Several members contributed their musical and literary talents to entertain the rest. Miss Clark responded to all the calls made upon her. Miss Baker and Miss Martin favoured the company with a duet, and Miss Hards with a pretty March; Miss Dorothy and Miss Winnie Reynolds also each played a piece on the piano, whilst Miss Skinner and Miss Lamplugh each gave a recitation, the later being an amusing sketch from `The Mill on the Floss'.
A devotional evening was next held in the Parish Room on the Monday in Holy Week, followed by a social evening on Monday April 29th at the Vicarage (Warde's Moat), at which, `our kind and much loved Patron, Mr Alesand, gave much pleasure by his beautiful reading of that pathetic and touching little book, called “ Laddie “.' The last meeting of the season with games and various amusements took place on Monday 28th of May at the Vicarage.
Although there were plans to meet again at the close of hop-picking that same year of 1895, no further mention in the pages of the Parish Magazine was to be found, but we now know that the president, Mary Lamplugh was unwell, and after moving to her sister’s house in Cambridge, she died in 1897.
At that time the Rev’d David Lamplugh accepted the living of Rokeby in North Yorkshire.