For many years, villages have met in competitions, and subsequently retired to the adjacent or local saloon bar for refreshments. These get-togethers covered a variety of sports, and on Saturday May the 21st 1892 the Quoits Club from the . Inn at Loose, came to Yalding to play their first match with the George Hotel Club.
Quoits dates from at least the mid-fourteenth century, when it was included on a list of forbidden sports and pastimes, because they diverted servants and apprentices from maintaining their stamina in more physical sports, during the wars with the French.
The local club won all three games, severely defeating the visitors, before they all adjoined to the large room of the George, where a most pleasant and harmonious evening was spent by all concerned.
It is not clear how long this group had been in existence, but it was clearly formed so that the gentry could be encouraged and had a means of supporting village activities.
At the Annual Parish Meeting held in the Parish Room (in the High Houses) on March 30th 1920 the offer of a Sport's ground was made. In this, “Colonel Borton announced his willingness to give for the benefit of the parish, and as a thank-offering for the preservation of his sons during the Great War, vested in trustees which he would appoint, a certain parcel of land, being a portion of the `Kintons', situate near the Vicarage, to be used as a recreation ground and for sports.
Under a heading of The Sports Club in May 1921 came the following report:-
A meeting of the representatives of the Cricket, Football, and Lawn Tennis Clubs, together with the trustees (Colonel Borton, Colonel Boulton, Mr F Reeves, and the Vicar) was held in the Parish Room on April 12th, to discuss the future of the clubs.
Colonel Borton appointed chairman of the meeting, and he explained that he had executed a deed of gift of the ground in favour of certain trustees, consisting of the owners of Cheveney for the time being, the owners of Kenward & Court Lodge, and the Vicar of Yalding, in whose hands was invested the control of the ground as long as it was being used for the purpose of `Sport'. Colonel Borton gave a contribution of £ 25 towards the general funds, and after talking of the problems of playing cricket and football on the same ground, Mr Reeves (of Court Lodge) offered the use of his field near the Anchor Inn, for football purposes.
Conveyance, erection and painting of the pavilion cost £ 34, and a few years later a bronze plaque was placed there that reads:-
THIS PLATE COMMEMORATES THE GENEROVS GIFT OF THIS SPORTS GROVND BY LIEVT.COL. A.C.BORTON D.L. J.P. OF CHEVENEY TO THE VILLAGE OF YALDING. IT IS PLACED HERE IN GRATEFVL RECOGNITION BY THE CRICKET FOOTBALL AND HOCKEY CLVBS AND THE DAY SCHOOLS A.D. 1926.