INTRO. CHRONICLES. SOCIETIES. PARISH. VILLAGE. CHURCH. PEOPLE.

A History of YALDING, Kent, England


DIAMOND JUBILEE OF QUEEN VICTORIA.

The committee successfully arranged funds to embrace everyone in the Parish celebrations. On Thursday morning June 22nd 1897, the new cricket ground was transformed into a Gala Field, with tents profusely decked with bunting, “coker-nut stands”, merry-go-rounds, "Aunt Sally's", and booths fill) of sweets, cakes, ginger beer, "and a hundred other delights to attract us, and - probably make us ill next day".
A tent was erected adjoining the new cricket pavilion capable of seating 400, with a larder of huge joints and rounds of beef, and juicy hams, "sufficiently, seemingly, to feed an army - but then, Yalding is a hungry place".
All the committee were hard at work with Rev Leigh in an apron carving up ham, Dr’s Pout and Wood cutting massive joints of beef, Mr Fletcher (of Kenward) mixing salads, and the ladies under the direction of Mrs Leigh, were plying their customers with tea and bread, and the best cakes, until their elastic capacities had to cry 'enough'.
The weather was fine so the 400 children sat down on the grass, and the 800 adults were seated in relays. The sports group organised numerous events including cycle races, three legged, wheelbarrow races with blindfolded wheelers, all winning substantial prizes. As the day wore on the band struck up dance tunes, and the final crowning point was a firework display, chiefly given by Mrs Alexander (of Cheveney).
Each child on the School Registers received a medal to commemorate the 60th year of the Queen's reign, and a very successful day.