INTRO. CHRONICLES. SOCIETIES. PARISH. VILLAGE. CHURCH. PEOPLE.

A History of YALDING, Kent, England

CHANCEL NORTH WALL

AMHURST BRASS. On the north wall of the chancel is our oldest brass tablet to the memory of George Amhurst vicar, who died in 1592. This brass was removed from a memorial stone and mounted on a square of black marble. It is inscribed:-
“Here lyeth the body of Mr George Amhurst, Vicar, who dyed the . . . Februarie 1592”.
There are two small brass shields with coats of arms, plus another brass plate inscribed:-
“The old portion of the above brass belonged to the monument of Mr George Amherst B.A., who was inducted into the vicarage of this parish Feb; 3rd, 1586, and buried here as appears by the register Feb; 28th, 1592. He was the son of Nicholas Amherst of Judds in Tudeley and of the antient family of Anherst in this county. This restoration was made by William Amhurst Tyssen Amhurst of Ashurst in the parish of Pembury in this county and of Didlington Hall Norfolk, Esq., the lineal descendant of the said George Amhurst A.D. 1870”.
LEIGH MEMORIAL. Below the Amhurst brass is this, a white marble tablet to John Rowland Leigh, it reads:-
“In loving and honoured memory of John Rowland Leigh Master of Arts. Hon canon of Rochester. Rural Dean of Malling and for 38 years vicar of this parish, where he won, and retained to the last the affection and esteem of all classes. It was his constant aim to promote peace so as to live and die as he truly did, in charity with all men. Born May 12th 1862 died at Yalding Aug 14th 1934. This tablet is erected by his parishioners to whom his personality his character and his long life's work among them remain still as a happy and inspiring remembrance”.
TEMPLE WINDOW. The window In the north wall of the chancel portrays the presentation of Jesus in the temple.
It carries the words "Nunc Dimittis Servum Tuum Domine In Pace",
Which means:-
`Now leaves to serve the next domain in peace'.
With the inscription:-
"In Memoriam James Ramsey Warde 1874".
It was made by a WG Taylor and installed in 1884.

Also on this north wall of the chancel is a large mid 17th century monument in black and white marble to the Warde family, whose details are mentioned separately.