CHANCEL SOUTH WALL.
PROCESSIONAL CROSS. This brass cross is usually on the south wall of the chancel but may only be brought out for services. It is an enlarged copy of the Distinguished Flying Cross, was made by Messrs Wippell & Co of Exeter, and had been presented by the Air Vice-Marshall Amyas Borton and the wife of Squadron Leader A Slater, D F C, on Sunday 21st of September 1941, to commemorate the victory of the Royal Air Force in the Battle of Britain in 1940, and dedicated by Dr C M Chavasse, Bishop of Rochester, on Sunday 24th May 1942.
It is inscribed :-
"To the Glory of God. and in commemoration of the Royal Air Force
Thanksgiving Sunday September 21st 1941."
The Air Vice-Marshal Amyas `Biffy' Borton, was one of the great characters of 20th century Yalding. He is best known for his involvement in the first intercontinental flight to Egypt and on to India. After taking off from Manston in the Handley Page on the 28th of July 1918, he was probably one of the first to look down onto the Vesuvius volcano from the air. He joined the Black Watch in 1906 and learnt to fly that same year. After being seconded to the Royal Flying Corp in 1913, and fought with them throughout the First World War, he joined the R A F at its formation on April 1st 1918. His gallantry earned him the D S O in 1915, the A F C in 1918, the C M G in 1919, and then the C B in 1922. He also held many other decorations, and in 1923 took up the post of Deputy Director of Personnel, Air Ministry, and later commanded the Royal Air Force College at Cranwell, before retiring in 1932. He was always fond of Kent, especially Yalding, and whilst at Uxbridge he would frequently fly home with brother officers for an afternoon bathe in the Medway, or more likely the secluded mill pond at Cheveney Institute. (There is more in the Chronicle section).
Of the three windows on this wall, two were destroyed in the war. leaving the one nearest to the altar intact.
This single light bears the inscription:-
"EVARDI BAINES A.M. GRATE MEMORES POSVIMVS"
‘EDWARD BAINES M.A. IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE OF HIS INFLUENCE’
Edward Baines was educated at Christ Church College Cambridge, and was vicar here from 1859 until his burial here on 29th April 1882.
The central single light of these three windows over the Priest’s door held the inscription:-
‘SANCTA MARGARITA. META FILIA DULCIFSUIRA. NUNC VALE.’
‘SAINT MARGARET. THE LOSS OF A SWEET DAUGHTER. NOW HEALTHY’
The third window is now the BLUNDEN WINDOW, which has a separate description.