Today the south transept is called the Lady Chapel and the main item here is a 15th or 14th century tomb, which has been used as an altar, with to the left a 13th century piscina and two others of perpendicular style. When Hasted wrote his history of Kent at about 1800, he noted that there was no information on this tomb, and the brass plate had been removed.
For many years this transept was used by the pupils of Cleaves School who sat in tiered pews. When the school was closed these pews were removed in the 1920's to reveal this tomb which few if any villagers knew existed.
EAST FACING WINDOWS. These windows of the Lady Chapel were also destroyed in the second world war as were the others already mentioned when a doodle bug crashed on the Kintons. They now have clear glass, but one was dedicated to Mary Marchant Bouch and the other to Francis Barham Elvey and Frances Margaret Elvey of Bowhill. Francis, a farmer of Bowhill, once owned the group named Elveys Cottages, in the High Street.
His funeral took place on Thursday 29th of January 1880. Many gathered to show their last tributes, esteem and respect for a man ever ready to do good and help those in need, who in a short while would have reached the age of 91. He was carried on the shoulders of eight of his own workmen, to a service conducted by the Rev'd Baines, assisted by the Rev'd E Bartlett.
The tomb mentioned above is shown at the bottom of this photo.
The main window of this chapel, facing South, is to the memory of Major General Edward Charles Fletcher of Kenward, and was erected by his widow.
He was born in 1799, and buried in a vault in the churchyard here, on 9th January 1877, aged 77.
To the right of this window are two boards containing a list of our priests, from Laurentius of 1184.
Details of these ministers are listed in a separate section entitled Vicars.