Our present ring of six bells were originally hung on the 30th of November 1696, after they were recast following damage by fire. The earliest record of any bells is in the will of Stephen atte Hash of 1474, when he made a bequest of 20d for the repair, upkeep and renovation of one bell. This is detailed in the chronicle section of 1696.
The tenor weighs 18 cwt. and in total they weigh over 68 cwt. The first three are inscribed "PW 1696" and number four with "PW 1697". (PW is Philip Wightman). The fifth was recast again later and bears the inscription "Rev'd John Warde, Vicar - Stephen and Henry Groombridge. Church wardens. 1759. Lester and Pack".
The tenor bell is inscribed "Robert Cox. Clement Elliot, Churchwardens. Made by Philip Wightman 1696".
The names as listed above were cast round the crown of the bell.
Philip Wightman was the bell founder who cast these originally.
The recent work was performed by the Whitechapel foundry which dates from 1570.
These photographs were taken before the bells were lowered and remounted in the former clock room.
In 1976 the bells were silenced for major restoration work when the tower was re-pointed and the bell frame recast lower down at the level of the clock. The exterior work proceeded through 1977, and then on Saturday 22nd April, 1978 a voluntary team of helpers transported the bells to the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. They were subsequently re-hung by the same team, and then re-dedicated by the Right Reverend Philip Goodrich. Bishop of Tonbridge, at 3 pm on Sunday 8th of October 1978.