In the Tithe Map of 1841 this house was the residence of lady farmer Elizabeth Miller, who also owned the adjacent Lyngs Farm, and Forster’s Farm plus the Glasshouse along Benover Road.
In the later nineteenth century this was the home of Charles Noakes, but by the turn of the century had become the:-
NAZARETH HOME OF REST.
From 1894 to the early years of the twentieth century Lees House was converted into a convalescent home with the above name, where one of the ladies in charge was a Sister Jane Frances. Accommodation was arranged for 30 to 35 people, at the moderate terms of 9s. a week for men and 8s. for women.
Everything but beer and washing was included. These terms did not cover all expenses, and regular subscriptions were requested, especially as if possible they liked to take a few free cases.
Many delightful expeditions were planned of walks and drives by Brake through our lanes and hop-gardens, of boat excursions on the river, merry picnics boiling their gypsy kettle beneath the trees, forgetting for a time that such a place as London, with its smoke and work and weariness, ever existed.
For wet or dull evenings, there was a piano in the sitting room, and very enjoyable impromptu concerts were often arranged, completing memories of happy days in Yalding.