The name Laddingford has evolved from the family of ‘de Lodneford’. ‘Lon’ in early Gaelic means mud or marsh, and a ford across the mud is exactly where this hamlet arose. The river Teise here has this Wealden earthen consistency, more so than the Medway or Beult.
In a deed of 1201 a Ralph Chanu held one carucate (about 120 acres) of land that was owned by Daniel de Lodneford. Subsequent 13th century spellings were Lodeford, then Ludeforde, and in 1782 Lodingford.
In this view towards the Church and School the oasts on the left have now been replaced by houses.
In the County Archives is a deed of conveyance of a piece of land from Mr William Haines, occupied by Thomas White, to Rev Edward Baines for a school site for Lattingford, dated 6th October 1864.
By 1874 the Rev’d John Price, M.A. had been installed as curate here, but within the next ten years he had passed on, and his widow Susannah stayed on at Yew Lodge, now called Laddingford House.
When Susannah herself died on the 26th of November 1909, she had moved to Folkestone, and in her will left £ 500 to be invested for "in keeping the School Church at Laddingford - - in good and
Turning to face the opposite direction to the view above we see the 15th century timber framed Chequers Inn public house.
Landlords of The Chequers on record have been:-
1832 Richard Shoebridge with wife Ann.
1868 Ann Shoebridge after Richard died.
1882. William Sales moved from Engineer beer house.
1895. Richard Foster.
1915. Stephen Gibbons. Father of Walter Gibbons, butcher at one time next to the P.O.
1924. John Gilbert.
1937. William Thomas Burton. Landlord of the Bell at Beltring during W.W.1.
1941. Fred Hooker.
1946. George Burton, son of William.
1970. Hilda Burton, wife of George.
1975. Several short period landlords.
1994 Charles and Tracey Leaver.
Many of the community events at this end of the Parish are now centred around The Chequers. Next