If any building could tell a story it must be this emporium at the top of the High Street. It has obviously been a business establishment for centuries, but the earliest definitive record is the 1841 Tithe Map details, when owner John Ranger, rented it to Richard Baker, a hairdresser and Post Office proprietor. Richard was here from 1800 to 1856, see more on next page.
At the turn of the century it was possibly run by Richard Barnes, and later by Thomas Cooper, confectioner. Shortly before the first world war the premises were purchased by Frederick and Frances Gardener, who had two daughters, one of which Evelyn, helped to run the shop when her father died soon after the war.
Albert and Dora Latter purchased the shop from Mrs Gardener in about 1935. Albert died in 1956, and Dora continued to run the business until 1964, when it was sold to Jeffrey Brothers, and Herbi, Ena and their daughter Carol operated the shop until 1969, when it passed to Ena’s brother and sister-in-law, George and Elsie Pearce.
The business was sold to a Peter and Marian Cook, who when her husband died, Marian continued to run the shop until she remarried another Peter and became Mrs Hickmott. In 1987 the business passed to Mr and Mrs Patel, and in 1996 to Mr and Mrs Rudge, followed by a transfer to David Whitehead in 2002. It then passed to Sheila and John Morris.
Eventually like most other village shops,‘Our Corner Shop’ closed its doors.
The shop is shown in the top photo before the war memorial was built; note the signpost to Hunton also says Union Workhouse.
In the next cottage, between the wars lived Eliza Diprose who used her front room as a sweet shop, photo bottom left, and in the next photo she is shown in the corner shop with Dora Latter.
The final photo shows the shop and Eliza's house from the other direction.