A History of YALDING, Kent, England
These splendid C16 timber framed cottages with hipped thatched roof, stand in a prime central position of the High Street. They were recently thatched with Norfolk reeds over existing thatch.
Probably the first local names attached to ownership of what we now know as Randalls Cottages is that of Sir John Shaw and his wife Martha, daughter of John Kenward.
In May 1755 the cottages were passed to Edward Bowater of Woolwich, who immediately conferred ownership to one of the occupying tenants, Samuel Hatcher, and the cottages still display a fire seal that records the owner Mr Samuel Hatcher, had taken out fire insurance policy No. 163171 with the Sun Alliance Society.
Samuel Hatcher and his brother William held joint ownership until 1789, when it passed to William Fielder, in 1790 to John Jeffery Austen, and then in 1791 to Thomas Town of Downs Farm House.
It was in 1810 that the Randall family initially took the reins of this property
in the name of James Randall, collar maker. The property stayed within the family
for the next few generations, so that when the next conveyance of sale came on 12th
December 1887, the ownership was shared with several members of an extended family
Jane Randall of Holy Trinity Schools, Alma Road, Windsor, Berks;
William Randall of 713 Dean Street, Brooklyn, New York, butcher;
Henry Randall of the same address in New York, butcher;
John Webb Randall of Shipbourne, near Tonbridge, grocer;
Thomas Randall of the Talbot Inn, Astley in Salop, Licensed victualler;
Lewis Randall of Bourne Street, Bexley, saddler;
and Thomas Randall of Yalding, butcher.
The property did not exactly move out of the family. For during the nineteenth century there were six large Randall families, the first being Thomas and Susannah, who had nine children, of which the youngest born in 1840, Emma, was to marry a Henry Mitchell in June 1866 in Brentford. They called their home Yalding House, which was in Churchfield Road, Acton Middx. When they acquired these cottages in 1887, Henry promptly decided to change their name to Mitchells Cottages, which is what they were in the 1891 census, but there was obviously opposition to this for the name was reverted back. Growing up in Acton, Henry at aged 15 was a bookbinder’s apprentice, and in later life became the Parish Clerk and Registrar of Births and Deaths.
Shops in front of
Originall Red House.