A History of YALDING, Kent, England

The next family name was to remain on our records for the following 100 years, starting with the announcement that John Pout surgeon married Elizabeth Starnes here on 30th October 1785.

They were to have a total of ten children, more than enough to carry on the profession, and John immediately stepped into his responsibilities.

1787 Mr Pout, doctoring the poor.      £ 20. 0s. 0d.

1790 Mr Pout for inoculating 17 persons at 4s 6d each.   £ 3. 16s. 6d.

1802 Mr Pout’s bill as doctor.      £ 28. 18s. 0d.

Dec 1802 it was agreed that the poor of the parish be immediately inoculated. (This was for an outbreak of smallpox.)

1803 Paid to Mr Pout two accounts for inoculating the parish.  £ 70. 0s. 0d.

1814 Mr Pout for vaccination (first mention) 0f 258 person at 5s each. £ 64. 10s. 0d.


There are several accounts of medical attention to the poor in general, and those in the local village workhouse receive a separate mention.

1816 Paid Dr Pout attending workhouse.     £ 3. 19s. 8d.

 Paid to Dr Pout and son, bill for attending poor.   £ 38. 1s. 6d.

 Dr Pout attending poor (midwifery and fractures extra).  £ 60. 0s. 0d.

Another surgeon was brought in for at least one event.

1822 Paid Mr Hodge surgeon, for amputating Hickmot’s arm

and attendance.       £ 3. 5s. 0d.

John’s son Henry who was baptised here on 5th November 1800, became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons, and followed in his father’s footsteps to take up the village practice. He was in residence when there was an outbreak of cholera nationally, that was aggravated by the hot weather, when in the first week of September 1849 the number of deaths for England and Wales was 2,513. It did not reach the rural environs of Kent until brought by the hop-pickers, and was mainly confined to them.

It had started at a farm in East Farleigh where it cost 43 lives, and a further 30 died at Loose and here in Yalding. To help combat this, the Overseers records state: “1849 (Sept 14th) A tent to be hired and pitched on the Kintons for the reception of cholera cases.”

Henry had married Ann Gibbs from Hurstmonceaux, on 17th February 1830, and like his father they also had ten children. The family lived at Church House, which was the surgery practice during the Pout dynasty of caring for their local patients.

When the Union Workhouse was installed at Coxheath in 1834, our local surgeons were called upon to practice their care there also, but there were usually many of our locals in residence there.

Henry and Ann’s first child, Augustus, baptised here on 25th May 1831, was a medical apprentice at the age of 19, and during the next ten years became a Batchelor of Medicine, taking over the running of the practice. His brother Frank also became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons.

Augustus married Sarah Elizabeth Springett during the last quarter of 1861 at Cranbrook, and surprise-surprise they also brought up ten children. These were five boys and five girls, and the boys all had the name of Springett as a secondary Christian name.


So John Pout took on the practice at about 1785, then his son Henry at about 1830, followed in turn by his son Augustus at about 1865, but he had left the village by the 1881 census. On this census the only Pout’s here were Henry, a retired surgeon and widower at 80, with unmarried daughters Frances and Jessie with him.

At this time the practice was being run by Edward John Wood aged 29, a Licentiate of the College of Physicians and surgeons, a General Practitioner, from Oakham Rutlandshire, who was boarding with Henry.

On the 1891 census these two ladies, Frances and Jessie were living with their brother, retired surgeon, Frank Pout, still at Church House.

By this time of the 1891 census Edward Wood was installed at Lees Lodge with his family as the resident village doctor.