A History of YALDING, Kent, England
THE RED HOUSE.
Occupying a central location in our high street, the Red House played an active role
in village life, when these premises were a flourishing beer-
The first publican on record, namely the 1841 census, was sixty year old Mary Rogers. The next known keeper to serve up his brew was Richard Waters, who at 42 had married Sarah Cheesman aged 37, on 29th January 1853. It is not known how long either of these served their local customers, but there must have been others as Richard and Sarah only appeared on the 1861 census.
In 1870 Henry Honess brought his family from Wateringbury to initially live in a
cottage further up the hill, beforemoving down to the Red House with wife Anne and
seven children. Apart from running the beer-
The two views above show the Red House in the centre of the high street, and the other singled out the house alone.
The house to the left had been a butchers shop, and the row of low wooden shops to the immediate right of the Red House, housed a butcher where a sign read, Enterprise Cash Meat Store, plus a hairdresser.
The delivery cart blocking the view to part of these shops belonged to William Weaver general shopkeeper of Wolsey, Laddingford. The other cart we understand belongs to Alfred Brenchley, also of Laddingford. To the right of the group of boys is a small shop and another hairdresser.
The Red House was changed when the thatch from the cottage behind was extended forward, and the two cottages merged into one shown in the left photo.
In the 1920’s the wooden shops in front of Randalls cottages were demolished by Colonel Borton of Cheveney when he bought them.
In front of Randalls can be seen the village gun, mentioned elsewhere.
This thatched Red House caught fire at midday on Whitsunday 1958, and was not rebuilt, so we lost some of our village character, shown by the right hand photo.