A History of YALDING, Kent, England
YALDING HIGH STREET.
The main area of the High Street lies between the Village Green and the Church, which is the right hand end of the panoramic view above. Hugh de Audley obtained the grant to hold a weekly market in 1339, and you can see how the width of street continues to lend itself for that purpose, as we have a monthly market still today.
The barn central picture displays three oast cowls, whilst the top picture shows
how many cowls there were at the other end of the farm yard, which was required when
the main annual harvest was hop-
This was Court Lodge farm and the large house just above the barn cowls was the Court Lodge farm house.
The original Red House can be seen half way up the High Street on the right.
This image shows the barn cowls removed, and the original Red House now built into the cottage behind and thatched.
The building in right foreground is now called Church House, but has no other connection with it, and had been called Holborough House.
Across the road is the village forge with its open door.
The other roof in the central foreground is the storage barn of Coates Shop as it was then.
Very little of the High Street has changed, other than the Red House, and further down by the bridge, the High Houses that have also sadly been removed. Most development and changes over the last century have not effected or disturbed this central core of the village, and would remain recognisable to our forebears.