A History of YALDING, Kent, England
The Village GREEN.
This central village meeting point must have witnessed many events and celebrations over the centuries, displaying all strains of emotion.
Its first mention was in our baptismal register when in 1577 a vagrant named Jone Lenit, gave birth to a daughter on the Green.
The local constable, an office that has its origins in manorial medieval times, maintained
Law and Order. In dealing with the petty criminal, it was agreed in Vestry that a
The Churchwardens gave out a notice on June 10th 1785, that ‘the CAGE which is to be built, will be put out to any Carpenter that will take it on the lowest terms, and to be built on the same plan of that at Marden’. They had been to Marden in 1784 to check the cage at a cost of 1s. 6d. An allowance was paid towards building the cage of 7s. 6d., and it was actually built in August 1786 for £ 13 5s.
One record of its use from the Maidstone Journal of 1845 reads, ‘On Friday last May-
Stykes our constable lodged the batch in the cage, (where the two boys are sitting in the photo), and on Saturday morning they were taken before T T Alkin Esq., who discharged all but the man who wore the shoes, who was committed for trial.’
The ‘Cage’ or Lock-
The bailiff required their immediate departure upon which two of them named George
Forster and Ellias Job Muggeridge threatened to break his head and used much abusive
and threatening language. Upon the constables being sent for they took themselves
off, but after great exertion they were apprehended and taken to the lock-
During the last half of the nineteenth century another item of village furniture
adorned this public place as recorded in the Churchwardens accounts:-
‘1846. On the 20th August, the Vestry agreed that Stocks be erected on the Village Green near the Cage, and to be paid out of the Highway rates.’ It is not known when these were removed.
The photo is of the Maidstone and District Steam Laundry van.
Also on the Green was a Well that had been in a dangerous condition for some time until the Parish Council had paid 15s, for a new stone cover to be fitted in February 1922. This could be why the Green edge by Vicarage Road is continually damp.
Near to the ‘Lock-