A History of YALDING, Kent, England
On the Tithe map these are a row of five cottages between the lower end of Town Bridge and the George Inn. The landlord of the George Inn from at least 1832 until the 1850’s, had been George Meers, and the name of this row for most of the nineteenth century had been Meers Cottages.
It was about 1880 when Daniel Kingsland arrived with his wife Jane and three daughters,
the youngest of whom was Edith Ellen aged two who had been born at Marden. Daniel
was aged 27, but Jane was very soon to die in child-
On this 1891 list the name was still Meers Cottages, but Daniel was soon to change
that to his own name. Edith Ellen was also to die at a young age and was buried here
on 4th March 1899 aged 20. Daniel was a boot-
From the late 1920’s until the 1960’s this end cottage, went under the name of Sunshine
Lodge, and housed the village Salvation Army unit. Initially it served as a home
for boys, but later became a fellowship meeting house for all ages. During hop-
In this bottom half of the village, most houses were built up from ground level, indicated by the steps up to the doorways, because of local flooding.
Of these timber framed cottages, brick-