A History of YALDING, Kent, England
WALNUT TREE Public House.
This timber framed house features many curved braces between posts and wall plates, with exposed timbers throughout. It is now a celebrated public house but for much of its life it was a beer house, until about 1930. What is now the restaurant, was in fact two cottages, that when Albert and then Edwin Latter were beer retailers here at the start of the 20th century, were called Latter’s Cottages. For most of the 19th century the house was kept by Edward and Mary Ann English, who in 1841 were aged 54 and 48 respectively, and were still there until the 1860’s. Edward had been born in the village to parents John and Mary. Following them the business was conducted by a Harriet Mitchell, and later at the turn of the century as stated above, was run by Albert Latter who like many of that family was also a bricklayer. Further into the last century the names of Frederick Gainsford, Fred Swift, and Fred Strand are on record as publicans.
The Walnut Tree as it is today, and as it was showing the separate cottages at the far end. The tree at the corner of the road was in fact a horse chestnut, whilst the Chestnut Tree at Congelow had a walnut tree planted outside. This tree here did not survive long before it fell and blocked the traffic as shown below.