A History of YALDING, Kent, England
This clock has the name of French Yalding, across the centre of the face.
Maidstone Museum contains a silver cased verge watch of "Isaac Chittenden, Yalding".
It is numbered 25692 and hallmarked 1806. Also by him a 30-
There is also in the museum an ornamental watchpaper, that was placed in the outer cases when watches were repaired or cleaned, named "French, Watch and Clock maker, Yalding, Kent".
Phoebe’s son John continued the trade, and married Ann English, a local girl, on 25th Nov 1834, and had six children between 1836 and 1846, their own son John, baptised here on May 19th 1846.
The main horology period of Phoebe’s son John was between 1832 and 1853, and he was buried here on 12th Oct 1857 aged 60.
William Edgar Palmer was born in South Lambeth on 13 April 1864. Unlike many other
electric clock makers of that time he had a horological background. His father, grandfather
He had followed in the family trade, but very little is known of William Palmer's life until 1902 when he took out his patent for improvements relating to electric clocks.'
This photograph shows him shortly afterwards, at the time of his marriage in 1904 to Millicent Elizabeth Brett. He was then living in Tonbridge, Kent, and working as a watchmaker for the South Eastern & Chatham Railway, a position he occupied without interruption until he reached retiring age in 1929. His job was to repair and keep in good working order the watches used by the railway staff and for this purpose he had a workshop on Tonbridge station with the help of a couple of assistants. It is tempting to speculate that Palmer might have been inspired by the Shepherd electric clock which was installed at Tonbridge station in 1852, but it seems unlikely that the clock was still there in Palmer’s time.
With competition increasing from other clock manufacturers, he closed his premises at Lyons Crescent, Tonbridge, and in 1916 opened a clock and watch repair shop at Gable Roof in our own High Street.
With competition increasing from other clock manufacturers, he closed his premises
at Lyons Crescent, Tonbridge, and in 1916 opened a clock and watch repair shop at
Gable Roof in our own High Street. Whilst in the village here he acted as lay-