A History of YALDING, Kent, England
The TWO BREWERS.
Behind this now private house, which up to about 1980 had been a public house, there had been a brewery, that at the close of the nineteenth century was offering the products of Messrs Loud and Wickham. This latter was Herbert Thomas Wickham of Laddingford House, who was soon to move into Congelow House.
These two men were not the actual two brewers, as the name existed in directories at the start of the nineteenth century, but was also known much earlier.
There were many charities established in the period since 1600, giving bread or clothes to the elderly or education to children, of the poor of the parish. One such benefactor was Mrs Julian Kenward, who linked her efforts with two men from Kingston, Surrey. They may have been related, but they also owned land both in Tudely and Yalding.
These two images hung on each side of the Inn sign.
The two men, Thomas and John Twiffen were brewers, and are mentioned in a deed dated 1641, relating to a farm of 17 acres called Bentletts, the purchase of which was made by Mrs Julian Kenward, and Thomas and John. The farm was purchased from a Thomas Turner, and the subsequent rents were to pay for a schoolmaster, chosen by the vicar, churchwardens, and overseers, to teach the sons of the poor of the parish whom they should nominate. There were several charity connections with buildings in the parish, and one such cottage that adjoined the Two Brewers was sold for £ 80 on 8th May 1877.
The information and names of publicans and their houses was not advertised until the directories and census records of the eighteenth century. The first name associated with this property at that time was William Tubb, but with no further details as the 1841 census lists the name of Joseph Samway.
. He was living there with wife Mary, five years his senior, and children James 25, Joseph 20, and Matilda 15. After Joseph was buried here on 8th of May 1845 aged 57, and then Mary on 23rd Dec 1848 aged 65, son James took over the business, but only for a short time as he was to be buried here on 19th Nov 1851 aged 35. The next publican behind the bar, was John Baldwin, who had previously been a cooper.
John lived there with his wife Elizabeth, six years his senior, five children, and his father also John, who was formerly a victualler and bargeman. Elizabeth was buried here on 16th Oct 1869 aged 51, and John senior on 1st Oct 1871 aged 83. John had passed The Brewer’s onto Edward Law, and retired to Tonbridge back to his old trade as a cooper, before he was buried here on 30 July 1883 aged 57.