Pubs and Beerhouses.
Early Inns and Beerhouses have come and gone, including the Swan Inn that had its licence refused in 1814.
When the railway arrived, one hundred yards from our local station was a public house called the Waterman’s Arms, that was to be renamed the Railway Inn.
An Act of Parliament in 1830 was passed to help deal with the problems relating to the high consumption of spirits, by allowing cottagers to sell beer in their front rooms for a meagre annual fee. To the seven public houses in the parish of 1830 were added eight beerhouses.
Subsequent changes altered these numbers in 1878 to 10 and 6, and in 1915 to 12 and 4. One of these last beerhouses to depart the village scene was the Red House in the High Street.
By the start of the Second World War we then had 14 public houses, but now we have only six.
The familiar signs have recently gone from the Bull and Two Brewers in the village, whilst previously we had seen the demise of the Chestnut Tree at Congelow, the Prince of Wales and Duke of Wellington at Collier Street, The Engineer at Wolsey, and the Railway Inn at Hampstead.
This leaves us now with the Walnut Tree, that was a nineteenth century beerhouse, and The George in the village; The Anchor by Twyford bridge; The Chequers at Laddingford; The Woolpack along Benover Road; and the White Hart at Claygate.