1848 Collier Street Church.
With the Victorian awareness of social responsibility, and the increasing population in a large parish, thoughts were stimulated to allow the church to be more accessible, and resulted in the erection of a daughter church.
On November 25th 1845 the Maidstone Journal carried the following article.
“We are pleased to learn that it is intended to erect a new church at Collier Street in this parish. A hamlet at a distance of 3 miles from the parish church, with a population of about 700. The church is to be a plain substantial edifice and the contributions of the benevolent are earnestly solicited for the building and endowment. W. Tompkin Esq. has given the ground for the site, and a subscription list has been commenced, headed by a bequest from the late Miss Margaret Warde of £ 1000 and a contribution from the Rev’d. R R Warde, Vicar, £ 200.”
An on-the-spot report tells us that, "the consecration of the church of St. Margaret’s at Collier Street took place on Wednesday August 16th 1848. This event attracted a great number of persons of all ranks, eager to witness the interesting ceremony. Carriages in double and treble rows lined the road, whilst the later arrivals were accommodated
in an adjoining field. The more humble classes, dressed in their Sunday attire, placed themselves in the most convenient situations to witness all that could be seen of the external ceremonies, for the church soon became crowded. There were nearly, if not quite, three
thousand persons assembled.
His Grace the Archbishop arrived at the church a few minutes before 11 o'clock and proceeded to the vestry, attended by Or. Burnaby (Vicar General), the Rev. J Thomas, the Rev. Cullen (Registrar) and Felix Knyvett, Esq., his Grace's solicitor. He was met at the door by the Rev. R. R. Warde (Vicar of Yalding), and the Churchwardens, Ramsey Warde
Esq., and R. R. Ellis, Esq. On being robed he proceeded to the front of the Communion Table, where the Vicar presented him the petition, praying him to consecrate the church. This was read aloud by the Registrar - after which his Grace the Archbishop, attended by his
chaplain and the clergy, walked from the east end to the west end of the church, and back again, repeating alternately the 24th psalm. On their return to the Communion Table the Archbishop took his seat in a chair at the north side, where the deed of conveyance was presented to him by the minister (the Rev. R. R. Warde). After laying It on the table, his Grace read the several prayers appointed for the occasion, after which the Chancellor read the sentence of consecration which was signed by the Archbishop, who commanded it together with the petition and deeds, to be recorded and registered in his registry. The Archbishop and clergy then went in procession to the churchyard, which was consecrated with the same forms as the church. On their return, the service of the day was read
by the Rev. R. R. Warde (the Vicar). The Archbishop read the Communion Service. At the conclusion of the Communion Service, the Rev. R. R. Warde announced that Divine Service would be celebrated every Sunday at 11 o'clock in the forenoon, and three o'clock In the afternoon. The minister appointed to officiate is the Rev. R. L. Koe. The Archbishop preached a most excellent and Impressive sermon.