This club is proud of its very successful history that stretches back to 1798, when it is recorded that our local eleven played Town Malling on September that year. During this time the ground has changed its location, many well known players have graced our turf, and the teams have played and won on many county grounds including The Mote.
One of the earliest matches recorded in the Maidstone Journal was played here in 1840 against the Bearsted Club. The game was a draw with both teams scoring 59 for their first innings, and then the visitors with 61, and 33 for 4 by Yalding for their second innings. The return game was a grand match played on Tuesday 21st of August 1840 on Bearsted Green. The home team only managed 46 for their first innings whilst Yalding scored 156, and then in reply the home team only achieved 123 for their 2nd innings. Thus the visitors won. Some Yalding team members were, Mr Wedd, Baker, Baldwin, T and H Golding, White, W Martin, T Harriman, with bowlers Stearman, Dorrington, Ellis and Lefeaver.
During the nineteenth century, year unknown, our local team being obviously well established in the county, was invited to play in a prestige match. Details from a poster in Maidstone Museum reveals:-
“On the 1st of June will be played at Pennenden Heath, Near Maidstone
A MATCH OF CRICKET FOR TWO HUNDRED GUINEAS
between the YALDING CLUB, and ELEVEN GENTLEMEN
selected from the Neighbourhood of Chatham, Rochester and Strood.
The Wickets to be Pitched at 9 o'clock, and the game played out.
A good Ordinary at the Bull, Pennenden Heath, at Two o'clock, by John Crawte.”
On Monday 15th of June 1874 a match was played on the Lees against Guys Hospital. A large number of spectators assembled on the scene, which was graced by the presence of several ladies, for whom tea was provided by the committee. It was the intention that they would perform this function at all matches during the season. With between 15 to 20 matches played by the first team every year over these 200 years, not many can be mentioned. In that same year of 1874 Yalding beat Addington by 131 to 72 on the 25th July. Then a few days later on the 31st at Tunbridge Wells, the Blue Mantles made 126, and Yalding scored 340, with L A White making 60 and A S White 59.
A club sub-committee consisting of the Rev J R Leigh, Capt S G Reid, and Messrs Hards, Norton, Pout, and Reeves, were appointed in the spring of 1897 to inspect the Kintons field, laying between the Vicarage (Warde's moat) and the river Beult, offered for use by Mr Frank Reeves of Court Lodge.
The reason for this was because “ The Ring “, named thus for the circle of trees around the present Lees carpark, was becoming unsuitable due to flooding. The Ring had been in use for at least the previous century, so had obvious associations, and was located in picturesque surroundings, but with an ever-changing evenness, and coarse grass on the outfield encroaching the pitch, decisions had to be made.